In this video, you’ll learn how to get your podcast added to Spotify from your Libsyn hosting account.
Why Get Your Podcast in Spotify?
Before I show you how to do that, I want to tell you why you should get your podcast in Spotify.
Spotify is a massive service with millions of listeners. The service has:
- Over 60 million subscribers
- 140 million active users
- Available in 60 markets worldwide
So Spotify is a great opportunity to reach a new audiences and grow your podcast even faster.
What You’ll Need to Get Your Podcast in Spotify
There are a couple of things you’ll need:
- Podsafe Music: Firstly, you need to ensure that your podcast is using Podsafe music. In simple terms that means you have a license and/or permission for all music that you’re using in your podcast.
- Libsyn Account: Secondly, you need a Libsyn hosting account. In other words, your podcast should be hosted on Libsyn. If you’re NOT currently using Libsyn, then this tutorial isn’t for you.
But if you are using Libsyn, then let me show you how easy it is for you to add your podcast to Spotify.
In addition to Podsafe music, there are a couple of additional Spotify requirements that you should be aware of:
- Summary: this should be a maximum of 385 characters.
- Title: this should be a maximum of 43 characters
How to Get Your Podcast in Spotify from Libsyn
Here’s a summary of the steps involved in getting your podcast in Spotify (from your Libsyn account):
- Log into your Libsyn account
- Under the “Destinations” menu select “Add New”
- Find Spotify in the list of destinations and click the “Add’ button
- Complete all fields in the form
- Under the “Advanced” section complete the “Show Title Override” field (43 characters max)
- Click the “Approve” checkbox to agree with Spotify’s terms of service
- Click the “Save” button
That’s it! Your podcast (once approved) should appear in Spotify in about 2 weeks or less.
Note: Spotify will NOT notify you when your podcast is live, you’ll need to keep checking yourself. And make sure to do this on the mobile Spotify client as the desktop app may just be showing your podcast information from iTunes which doesn’t necessarily mean that you podcast is in Spotify.
Manually Selecting Content in Libsyn for Spotify
Once you’ve setup the Spotify destination, Libsyn will automatically select your episodes and publish them to Spotify. In most cases, this will be the same as the episodes you see for your podcast in iTunes.
But there may be cases where you don’t have to show one or more episodes in Spotify e.g. let’s say that you have an episode where you think it might not be Podsafe. In these cases, you can manually deselect that content from the Spotify feed.
Spotify Stats in Libsyn
Once your podcast is in Spotify, you’ll be able to go Stats > Spotify Stats to see download numbers.
The Spotify stats are NOT included in your main Libsyn download stats. So you’ll need to manually add the Spotify numbers to your Libsyn stats to get a more accurate number of your downloads for your podcast.
Note: The Spotify stats are only available to Libsyn customers with “Advanced” accounts i.e. you pay $20 per month (or more) for your Libsyn account. If you’re on the Basic plan, you should still be able to get your podcast into Spotify, but you won’t see any stats.
If you have any questions, please submit a comment below and I’ll do my best to answer your question.