How do I publish a podcast on iTunes?
That’s a question I often hear from new podcasters. I’m guessing that’s why you’re here too.
Publishing a podcast on iTunes is fairly easy, but it can be a little confusing at first (it was for me).
So instead of just telling you what to do, I’m also going to explain how a podcast is published to iTunes. So by the end of this post, you’ll be able to publish your podcast with confidence.
How podcast publishing to iTunes works
Here’s a basic overview of how podcasts get published to iTunes:
- Podcast Host: You upload your podcast episode file (MP3) to a podcast host such as Libsyn or Soundcloud. The file is either scheduled for release or published immediately.
- RSS Feed: The host creates an RSS feed for your podcast. This is a document which contains information about the podcast and published episodes (not scheduled episodes).
- iTunes: The RSS feed is registered with iTunes when you setup the podcast. Every time you upload and publish a new episode to your host, the RSS feed also gets updated. iTunes detects the update in the RSS feed and retrieves the new episode and displays it in iTunes.
Before you submit your podcast to iTunes
Before you can submit your podcast to iTunes you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Cover Art Image: a JPG or PNG file with a size of 1400 x 1400 pixels (minimum) and 3000 x 3000 pixels (maximum) should be uploaded to your Libsyn or Soundcloud account.
- Valid RSS Feed: an RSS file with information about your podcast and any published episodes. This file is automatically created when you setup a Libsyn or Soundcloud account.
- RSS Feed URL: the URL of your RSS feed. You’ll find this on the Libsyn destinations page (look for Classic Libsyn Feed) or the Soundcloud content settings page.
- A Published Episode: you should have published at least one episode in Libsyn or Soundcloud. If you have no episodes, then you won’t be able to submit your podcast.
- Apple ID: you will need a valid Apple ID account in order to submit your podcast to iTunes. If you don’t have an Apple ID, use this link to create one.
How to publish a podcast on iTunes
Here’s are the steps involved in submitting your podcast to iTunes:
- Sign into iTunes Connect with your Apple ID.
- Click the + icon to add a new podcast to iTunes.
- Enter your RSS feed URL and click the Validate button.
- Fix any validation warnings or errors, then click Validate again.
- Check the preview of your podcast
- If the preview looks good, click the Submit button.
- Your podcast will now be submitted to iTunes podcast directory.
Once approved, Apple will send you a confirmation email with a link to your podcast in iTunes. This can take anywhere from a few days to a week or more.